• Frequently Asked Questions:


    My child was born in the United States. Can he/she still receive EL support?

    A student may receive EL services regardless of nationality or place of birth. The student must have first learned a language other than English or come from a home where a language other than English is usually spoken. The district's language assessments determine a student's eligibility for EL services.


    My child already speaks English. Why is he/she receiving EL services?

    Many students are confident using conversational English but are still developing the academic language necessary for reading and writing at grade level.


    How long will my child be in the EL program?

    The academic language used in school can take 5-10 years to learn. Scores on standardized tests, teacher evaluations, and feedback from you and your child will determine the need for EL support.


    Can I refuse EL support for my child?

    Although we believe that EL support is helpful for your child, you may refuse services by contacting your child's EL teacher.


    Will the school ask about my family's immigration status?

    No. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that undocumented students have the same right to attend public schools as do U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Public schools cannot require students or parents to disclose or document their immigration status.


    How will the EL program help my child?

    The EL program provides support for your child to learn the same information as all other students while also improving his/her English language skills.


    Can my child be in Special Education and EL at the same time?

    Yes. A child who receives special education support can also benefit from EL services.